Crispy daal pakodas are a Bengali dish and easy to make! The credit for this recipe goes to my mum in law!
- 1 cup masoor daal (it's the orange daal - just in case)
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger - grated
- 2 tsp. - jeera powder
- Cooking oil - to fry
- Salt to taste
- Soak masoor daal in water for at least 3 - 4 hours prior to making the dish
- When the daal is soaked it will split open.
|Soaked masoor daal|
- Add 5 tbsp. of soaked daal in a grinder and make a coarse paste of it.
|Coarsely grinded masoor daal|
- Add chopped onion, green chilies, ginger, jeera powder and salt. Mix well and make a dough.
- In a frying pan, heat oil for deep frying.
- Now make small balls / flat pies of the mixture and deep fry. It is advisable to fry the balls at low flame so that they are cooked on the insides too. Fry till golden brown.
These delicious pakodas can be eaten with rice & daal or can be served as snacks with mint chutney / tomato ketchup. In case you want to make a heavy snack of them, you can make small burgers and serve.