Poha is a Maharashtrian recipe made out of flat rice. It is usually eaten as a light snack or in the breakfast in most Maharashtrian households. There are many ways Poha can be made and many ingredients that can be added / taken off Poha. Play with your favorite vegetables and enjoy the light and yummy snack.
- 1 cup - Mota Poha (there are many forms of poha that is available in the market)
- 2 cups - chilled water
- 1/2 tsp. - black rai
- 2 onions - finely chopped
- 50 gms round beans - finely chopped
- 50 gms carrot - finely chopped
- 50 gm. cauliflower florets (stem removed, boiled in water to clean dirt)
- 2 small potatoes - diced
- 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ginger - grated
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 50 gms green peas - boiled
- 1 swig - curry leaves
- Cooking oil - for frying potatoes & cooking Poha
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1/2 tsp. dry mango powder / aamchoor powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. - lemon juice
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Wash poha with plain water to remove any starch or dirt. Now soak the poha in chilled water. Make sure that Poha is submerged in water.
|Mota Poha - Image courtesy: Google Images|
- In a microwave proof dish, add beans and carrots. Add water and microwave for 5 minutes. In case you do not have a microwave, boil the vegetables in little water so that they become soft.
- In a small pan, add oil and fry the potatoes till they are golden brown. Do not let the potatoes burn.
- In a frying pan, add 4 tbsp. of cooking oil. When the oil is hot, add curry leaves, dry red chilies and black rai. When the rai and curry leaves crackle, add onions, ginger, garlic and green chilies. Sauté till the onions are transparent.
- Strain the water from the vegetables and add them to the frying pan. You can keep the water separately and use it to knead dough for chapatti / boil rice. The flavor is exquisite.
- Add cauliflower and peas and fry with the onions for about 2 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, aamchoor and salt and mix well. In case he vegetables have become dry, add 2 tbsp. of water and mix well. Add the fried potatoes and poha and mix till the poha has got the color of the spices.
Garnish poha with finely chopped coriander leaves and add lemon juice to taste.
- You may add roasted peanuts to the dish. In case you have a cholesterol problem, avoid peanuts.
- Seasonal vegetables can be added to Poha too.