Being married to a Bengali, it is only natural to learn the Bengali cooking. This chicken dish is absolutely delicious and easy to make. You can serve as a dry dish or as a curry. Hope you enjoy it!
- 500 gms. boneless chicken (serves 5)
- 8 onions - finely chopped
- 7-8 garlic cloves
- 5-6 green chilies
- 3 tbsp. ginger
- 15 - 20 tbsp. mustard oil
- Cooking oil for frying
- 3 potatoes - diced in cubes
- Spices -
- Turmeric powder / haldi
- Coriander / Dhaniya powder
- Red chili powder
- Bay leaves
- Cinamon Sticks / Dalchini
- Jeera powder
- Cinnamon powder
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, add 3 tbsp. mustard oil, 1 tsp. turmeric powder, 1 tsp. dhaniya powder, 1 tsp. jeera powder and 1 tbsp. red chili powder and mix. Now add the chicken and mix the spices real well. Keep aside for 3 - 4 hours.
- In a grinder, add ginger, garlic, green chilies, dhaniya powder and jeera powder. Make a smooth paste.
- In a pressure cooker, add mustard oil. When the oil is hot lower the flame. Note that this dish needs to be cooked at low flame.
- Add 1/2 tsp. of sugar and mix well. Do not let the sugar to burn. It should give a nice golden brown color to the mustard oil. Now add the leaves and the cinnamon sticks. Mix well so that the flavors come into the oil. Remove from the oil.
- Add the chopped onions in the cooker and allow them to cook. The onion will make the base for the gravy. When the onions begin to get soft add the chili paste and allow the mix to cook. I cooked for about 1 hour for the flavors to set in and the onions to caramelize.
- Take the decided potatoes and add 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp. salt. Mix well.
- In a separate frying pan add the cooking oil and fry the potatoes till they have a golden brown layer on top.
- When the onions begin to stick at the base of the cooker and has reduced and become a little dry, add the marinated chicken and mix well. When the chicken begins to cook, it will release water. Cook till the chicken and the onion paste begins to reduce. It takes about 40 - 45 minutes for the chicken to cook. Now add the fried potatoes and cook further. Do not let the onion or chicken to stick at the base of the cooker.
- When the onions and chicken mix have reduced, add salt to taste. You may now take it off the flame and serve as a dry dish. In case you want to eat it as a curry, add water to the chicken and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- The credits for teaching this dish to me goes to my husband, Deep and my brother in law - Amaresh.