I love black chana for two reasons - it's delicious and very healthy. This versatile food can be in the form of dry snack or as a curry. This is the dry version of the dish.
- 250 gms - black chana
- 2 tbsp. ginger - grated
- 2 tbsp. garlic - grated
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 chilies - finely chopped
- 2 small carrots - grated
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 4 tbsp. mustard oil
- 1tbsp. Jeera
- 1 tsp. Haldi / Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. Red Chili powder
- 1 tsp. Jeera powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak black chana overnight. Pressure cook the black chana with chopped green chilies. It usually takes 4 - 5 pressure whistles for the chana to be cooked.
- In a pan, add the mustard oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, garlic and ginger. Sauté till the onions get a nice light brown color to them.
- Add jeera, jeera powder, haldi powder, red chili powder and salt and mix well. Add tomato puree and mix till the puree and the spices begin to get a dark red color.
- Strain the water from the black chana in a separate bowl. Add the dry chana to the spices and onion mix and sauté.
- Now pour the boiled black chana water and allow the water to boil and reduce.
- When it dries up, turn off the flame.
- In case you like a gravy dish, boil the water for 3 minutes and serve with rice / chapatti.
- You can serve the dry black chana as a side dish or as a snack.
Suggested garnishing for snack:
- Finely chop onions and coriander leaves. Sprinkles few drops of lemon juice and them Add the mixture to the chana before serving!