Aaloo Dum is a very popular dish and there are many ways in which this can be made. Here is our take on the dish!
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking : 35 minutes
- Potatoes - 6, cut into 2
- Onions - 2 small, finely chopped
- Coriander - 1 bunch
- Green Chilies - 2
- Turmeric - 1 tsp.
- Kashmiri red chili powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Dry spices - Bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, cloves, dry red chily
- Salt to taste
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Oil - to fry and cook
- Cream - 1 tsp.
- In a bowl, add turmeric and salt and toss the potatoes in the mix. The turmeric and salt should make a smooth coat on the potatoes.
- In a deep kadai, add oil to deep fry the potatoes till golden brown. Remove potatoes from oil and keep aside.
- In a grinder, make a fine paste of chili, coriander and garlic.
- In another pan, add the dry spices and saute till the aromas are released.
- Add the onions to the pan and saute till pink and soft.
- Add the coriander paste and saute well for about 40 seconds.
- When the onions are soft, add two tbsp of water and mix well. With a spoon mash the onions so that it makes a thick gravy.
- Add turmeric, Kashmiri red chili powder and jeera powder and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add the potatoes and water till the potatoes are soaked.
- Cover with a lid and cook till very little water is left and the onions have made a thick gravy.
- Turn off the flame. Add 1 tsp. of cream and mix well.
Serve with chapati / rice / poori and enjoy!