Being a deadly duo of Mallu and Punju, both Sonia and I have our own favourite dishes in both North Indian and South Indian cuisine and Masala Dosa is one of dishes we both love!
Here is our take on a Masala Dosa with Mint and Peanut Chutney
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 5 minutes
For the masala
- Potatoes - 2, cut into 1 cm cubes
- Onion - 1, finely sliced
- Mustard seeds / rai - 1/2 tsp.
- Curry leaves - 1 tbsp.
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 tbsp.
- Hing / Asafoetida - a pinch
- Aamchoor / mango powder - 3/4th tsp.
- Dry red chilies - 2
- Salt - a pinch
- Green chilies - 2 finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp.
For the dosa
- Dosa batter - this is readily available in Supermarts like Needs / Easy Day / Goodies
- In a microwave proof dish, add water and potatoes and boil for 15 minutes.
- In a wok, heat oil and add the curry leaves, mustard and dry red chilies. Now add the onions green chilies and saute till the onions are soft and cooked.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for about 30 secs.
- Add the spices - turmeric powder, hing and aamchoor powder and salt and saute with the onions.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and add to the onion mix. Saute well and remove from the flame. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, add dosa batter and a few drops of water to make a smooth batter.
- On a hot flat pan or tawa, add a few drops of vegetable oil. Drop a spoon of batter and spread evenly.
- When both sides of the dosa are cooked add the cooked potatoes and fold.
- Serve hot with chutney!