Lemon Rice is one of the most refreshing, easy to make and absolutely delicious rice recipes that we know of. A lot of variants are available for this recipe. Many add vegetables / shredded chicken to the recipe. We have prepared the simplest and quickest version of the recipe.
So if you have prepared fresh rice / have some left over rice at home and do not wish to have the same old rice, try this recipe.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 5 minutes
- Cooked rice - 1.5 cups
- Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp.
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Tamarind sauce - 1 tbsp.
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Curry leaves - a handful
- Dry red Chili - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Coconut milk - 1 tbsp.
- Ground nut / peanut - a handful
- Salt to taste
- In a kadai, add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies. Once the seeds begin to crackle, add the chopped onions and peanuts.
- As the onions soften and the groundnuts begin to crisp, add the dry spices - turmeric, red chili powder, cumin powder. Mix well.
- Now add the tamarind sauce and the coconut milk ad mix till both begin to dry a bit.
- Add the rice and stir well. Lemon rice is ready to serve.
- You may serve lemon rice with rasam / sambhar.