Being a Sardarni, Rajma and Rice has been a staple diet every week. I remember mum making rice and Rajma and serve it with mango pickle and fresh curd. Here is our take on Rajma and rice!
Preparation: 12 - 14 hours
Cooking: 45 minutes
- Rajma / black bean - 1 cup - soaked overnight in luke warm water
- Onions - 2 small, cut into 4
- Tomato - 1 - cut into 2
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Ginger - 1 tsp
- Green chilies - 4
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp.
- Red Chili pwder - 1 tsp.
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 4 tbsp.
- Jeera powder - 1 tsp.
- Water - to boil
- Jeera - 1 tsp.
- In a pressure cooker, pressure cook the soaked rajma, onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and green chilies till the rajma cracks. It will take about 20 - 25 minutes for the rajma to cook.
- Once the rajma is cooked, drain the water from the rajma and keep aside. This boiled water will form the base of the gravy.
- In the pressure cooker itself, mix the rajma till all the water is dried up. Now add the oil and the jeera till the jeera crackles
- Now add the spices and mix well.
- Add the water and allow to boil. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve with rice and pickle.